Rise of the 'mumpreneur': As price of childcare soars by 20% in a YEAR, 65% of mothers want to launch own businesses …

• Price of full-time childcare is at an all-time-high of £11,700 for two children
  • Rise of British ‘Mumpreneurs’, mothers who start business from home
  • One in seven mothers motivated by flexibility of being their own boss

By
Scarlett Russell

10:30 GMT, 21 April 2014

16:27 GMT, 21 April 2014

Soaring childcare costs in the UK are prompting more mothers than ever to start their own businesses from home.

A new survey has found that two thirds (65 per cent) of mothers with children under the age of ten are considering launching their own business in the next three years.

The dramatic rise in childcare costs mean that the annual expense of full-time childcare is £11,700 for two children.

Working mothers: 49 per cent of mothers questioned in a new survey believe that they would be financially better off if they started a business from home

The research, by insurers Direct Line, found that nearly half of mothers questioned – 49 per cent – believe that they would be financially better off if they started a business from home.

One in five British mothers say they (20 per cent) also believe they’d be able to spend more time with their children if they didn’t have to go in to an office every day.

One in six (16 per cent) think they’d save money on childcare if they eschew traditional nine-to-five, office-based jobs.

One in seven mums (14 per cent) are motivated to start a business from home by the flexibility of being their own boss.

One in eight (12 per cent) have always had the ambition to start their own business.

Only one per cent is motivated by the fact that they do not like their current job.

Jazz Gakhal, Head of Direct Line for
Business, said: ‘The costs of sending a child to day care, or hiring
a nanny continue to spiral.

‘It’s great to see that mums are tackling
this problem with such an entrepreneurial spirit, as they understand
considerable child care cost savings can be made by running a business
from home.’

‘WE TURNED INTO MUMPRENEURS AND WANT OUR BUSINESS TO GO GLOBAL

Kerry Marriott, 37, and Rachael Forder, 42, from Southsea, Hampshire, used their mothering skills to think up a lucrative business and, in 2012, successfully launched the LumiPotti: a potty which lights up to help young children with toilet training.

They thought of the idea when they realised their own youngsters were finding it difficult to locate the toilet in the dark.

‘Rachael used a transparent potty with a night light underneath and I plugged a night light in to the wall nearby,’ Kerry told Mail Online.

‘Our children liked the idea that they could get up and find the potty on their own at night. They were quite proud of themselves.

‘It wasn’t 100 per cent fool proof but it proved really effective. We started telling other parents about the method and they said it had worked for them.’

The LumiPotti successfully sells online and the women hope to make it a ‘global brand.’

Bright idea: Mothers Kerry Marriott, and Rachael Forder launched their LumiPotti busines from home

The comments below have not been moderated.

Mrs Bucket,

Yorkshire Dales, England,

5 days ago

If British men were paid a decent living wage on which to support a family, all this wouldn’t be necessary. Being a PROPER mother and running the home is a full time job and is very important. Bring back decent family values and behaviour of children will improve all round.

lonelygirl,

peak district,

5 days ago

being a mother isn’t a job it’s a lifestyle choice …

Sally,

Sydney Australia,

6 days ago

Wow, some really negative comments here, mothers just can’t win, can they? I’m trying to work out some way of working for myself. I had a career but was refused part time work when returning from mat leave (after 8 years of being assured that this was a firm that allows parents to work part time). I now have no job, and due to my inability to work full time I can’t get one. The cost of childcare here means I’ll being paying to work if I do more than 3 days per week (tax system). I’m worried about my husband doing so much himself but what can I do? I want to work for myself so I can work long hours but look after my kids as well. It has to work, there’s no other choice.

elgar61,

Fife,

6 days ago

I think a lot of these women have romantic ideas about running home businesses. It has taken me and my husband 6 years to build a successful business working from a spare bedroom converted to office space. We have often worked 7 days, 60 hour plus weeks and even into the early hours of the morning if necessary. Aside of a couple of days here and there we had no real holiday for the first 4 years as we couldn’t leave the business. In February we were eventually able to take the plunge and move to a small serviced office in a business centre, but we sold the house and moved to a flat to do this. However there is still work going on at home in the evenings. I had just had cancer when I decided to join the business so it hasn’t been easy but I love my job so the hard work is paying off.

debs,

Devizes UK,

6 days ago

I have no idea where these people are sending their children- must be London. But childcare is no where near as much as that in Wiltshire where I work!

GKJ,

UK,

6 days ago

Can we drop the “Mumpreneur” label please? No-one calls a father who runs his own business a “Dadpreneur”.

DangerousMinds,

global,

6 days ago

Where are the men starting home businesses to spend more time with their kids? This is 2014.

Poppy,

E Anglia,

6 days ago

As the government has just agreed to increase the funding for childcare its obvious the cost of it is going to go up. Parents and tax payers are being conned left right a centre by the childcare centres. I cannot believe the number of accidents children in childcare centres have and no one seems to be bother. I would never send one of my children to these places. You have children to love, care for and raise as a family giving them your time.

phatwa,

Kent, United Kingdom,

6 days ago

As a company director who works 60 hours a week, sometimes to 2am in the morning, I always laugh at these women who think that running a business is something you can just do between dropping your kids off and picking them up. If only! It’s incredibly stressful, tiring and expensive.

2 of 4 repliesSee all replies

Aisling,

Dublin, Ireland,

6 days ago

Very judgmental comment. At least they have the drive to start something. And it will depends on how big it is. And even if they make fifty extra pounds at least they have tried their hardest.

Minnie the Minx,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom,

6 days ago

If you’re working till 2 am maybe it’s you who is not doing very well.

londoner01,

london, United Kingdom,

6 days ago

The old fashioned way is to work, not be a stay at home mum? Wonderful how many presume men are too useless to be parents.

Sarah10,

Newcastle, United Kingdom,

1 week ago

I am an mum and I run a business, I despise the term mumpreneur…I am an entrepreneur.
It’s not an easy option, if you really want to run a successful business you will work harder than in any ‘normal’ job, initially for less money and sacrificing time with your children. Fed up with party plan mums calling themselves businesswomen.

hampshireman,

portsmouth,

6 days ago

bit up yourself then

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

We are no longer accepting comments on this article.

Who is this week’s top commenter?
Find out now

Source Article from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2609339/Rise-mumpreneur-As-price-childcare-soars-20-YEAR-65-mothers-want-launch-businesses-home.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
childcare – Yahoo News Search Results
childcare – Yahoo News Search Results

カテゴリー: Childcare   パーマリンク

コメントを残す

メールアドレスが公開されることはありません。 * が付いている欄は必須項目です

次のHTML タグと属性が使えます: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>